Monday 28 March 2011

Getting to grips with Twitter

I’ll admit that since James asked me to write a blog I’ve been continually putting off the task of writing it. I’ve had the usual distractions…dissertation, essay, job, and in the same vein as the neglect my university work faces- Facebook. What did I use as a distraction before Facebook existed? I’m fairly sure that without the web-site my university degree would be verging on a first rather than a middling 2:1. But maybe I’m just trying to make myself feel better. Despite its faults however, there’s no denying the importance of social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and their importance in changing the way business is conducted. James saw how this could draw attention to Spear PR and urged me to get twitter, but being a slight technophobe it’s taking a while for me to get to grips with it.

In true celebrity style, I found out upon creating a Twitter that I already had a fake account set up by an imposter. Unfortunately, this said ‘imposter’ was just a bored university friend trying to show a different side to my personality which actually doesn’t exist. I don’t know whether I should be slightly insulted that my ‘real’ twitter page has considerably fewer followers than my fake one. Having celebrated its fifth birthday last week, Twitter achieved the landmark with one million tweets being “tweeted” (or is it “twit”?!) and 500,000 new accounts being set up everyday. Although I find Facebook more suited to me, the importance of Twitter in business, particularly PR, is undeniable. Having created the website with the simple tweet “inviting coworkers” the co-founder Jack Dorsey could have had no idea that the website would grow in the way that it has. It certainly highlights how major businesses can stem from the simplest of beginnings. As the end of university looms ever closer it’s time to start thinking about what I’m going to do with my life. As I sat writing this in bed at 1:30pm on a Saturday afternoon it struck me that I’m still very much in student mode. What’s next on the agenda? I’m not quite sure, but whatever it is, I’m sure you’ll be able to find out via twitter…

No comments:

Post a Comment